27 March 2008

Exhausted



I feel like today was the worst day.  I am exhausted.  My son is difficult.  He refuses to do things that we want him to do and/or that he needs to do - like school work.  My husband (H) and I fight about it.  Nanny 911, as silly as it is, really inspires me.  H refuses to watch it.  Every time I see it (which is not every week - I don't seek it out),  I get ideas.  First of all, it always seems like the parents are at odds over disciplining the children.  So I tried to focus on that today and told H that I would handle things and if he disagreed with me, to talk to me outside of the presence of the children.  It was hard for him, I believe.  There was lots of screaming (by my son and not us, for a change).  Another thing I notice on the show is that, when putting the kids to bed (repeatedly), the parents are told to just take the kids back to bed and not to say anything to them (after the first time of putting them to bed).  We don't have a problem with bedtime, but we do have a problem with the kids (both of them) doing their homework.  I've already said that.  So I figured, first of all, they should do it at the kitchen or dining room table.  Since my son will not stay there, I (and H) just kept bringing him back.  He is almost 80 lbs.  We have to carry him back to the table over and over again.  For hours this happened and while he was at the table he just sat there - either complaining, doing nothing or crying.  Eventually he did his work.  Most of it anyway.  But I am mentally and physically exhausted.

Now, I don't want to leave my daughter out of it.  Part of the problem now with both of the kids, is that the grading period is over Friday. Both of them have missing work.  My daughter frequently says that she doesn't have homework, when in fact she does.  Today she acted like she didn't have any missing work, when I knew she did - the teacher and I had talked about it after school and he had given me a list of missing assignments and she had stayed in from recess every day this week to do her missing work. She had not told us that.  So she walks in the door and I ask her about the work, she acts like she does not have any and when I present to her what the teacher wrote down, she freaks out crying.

After she got herself together, she looked through her work and saw that she had turned most of it in - her teacher had initialed her work.  So, she only has one thing left.  I feel like crying.

No comments: